Northern Ireland Ferrets

Peter4456

Can anyone tell what the following are (seen on a Ferret Mk 2/5 history card). The vehicle saw extensive use in Northern Ireland:

8th May 1972: EME 4, 27 Command Workshops, Warminster.

Is EME ® 4 the conversion to Mk 2/5 standard or something else?

1973: Internal Security Pack (IS) No 74D, Northern Ireland

Is this Makrolon etc, a Hull Shocker or something else?

Over to the experts!

Peter,

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

My Ferret was initially a Mk 2/3 VHF (0130 - 4231) which was converted in 1972 -73 to a Mk 2/5 VHF (GPMG) (0130 - 4255). In the column next to the conversion it says as per EMER V627 No 79. I doubt its as simple as being converted from the .303 to 7.62mm

Andy,

EMER V627 Mod Instruction No. 79 states:

Sub Title: Mounting M.G. L37A1

1. Introduction

In order to standardise weapons in certain infantry batallions, the mounting 7.62mm, GPMG, No. 6 Mk 1 wll replace the existing mounting .30 Browining, No. 4, Mk. 2

4. Vehicles affected: Only vehicles selected under GS(OR)17 authority are to be modified. After modification the vehicle mark is to be annotated GPMG eg Mk 2/3 (GPMG)

The mod instruction is 8 pages long, I have issue 2 dated Sep 70.

Chris

Andy,

1. Introduction

In order to standardise weapons in certain infantry batallions, the mounting 7.62mm, GPMG, No. 6 Mk 1 wll replace the existing mounting .30 Browining, No. 4, Mk. 2

4. Vehicles affected: Only vehicles selected under GS(OR)17 authority are to be modified. After modification the vehicle mark is to be annotated GPMG eg Mk 2/3 (GPMG)

Chris

Chris

Could I have a copy of that? I'm sure that we can arrange something

• 1 year later...
Andy,

1. Introduction

Chris

I wouldn't mind a copy of this too??

Ross

EME 4 together with EME 5 was a branch of DDEE 3 (Deputy Director of Equipment Engineering) that contributed to controlled & planned base workshop work in the UK.

IS Pack is not as it might seem. It has puzzled me for a while but for far longer Geoff Fletcher who has noted this appear on a significant number of record cards he has handled at Deepcut. The context so far seems to be a role of an operational unit that had special duties in NI. I have never found an official interpretation of the term, nor has it rung any bells with numerous NI vets I asked. The term seems to have a specific meaning on vehicle record cards & does not fit in with IS protection equipment as one might think.

IS Pack is not as it might seem. It has puzzled me for a while but for far longer Geoff Fletcher who has noted this appear on a significant number of record cards he has handled at Deepcut. The context so far seems to be a role of an operational unit that had special duties in NI. I have never found an official interpretation of the term, nor has it rung any bells with numerous NI vets I asked. The term seems to have a specific meaning on vehicle record cards & does not fit in with IS protection equipment as one might think.

I have stopped and thought about this for mmm a couple of seconds. If memory serves, a vertical length of angle iron was welded to the front (of the turret?) to protect the commander from decapitation wires. There might also have been cages over the light clusters, etc.

But it's 36 years ago now and I only got intimate with NI Ferrets on a couple of occasions at night so don't quote me.